If you are an international student, staying in Belgium temporarily because of your studies, you can receive Belgian child benefits for the children in your household, if certain conditions are fulfilled. These benefits are meant to allay the expenses of care for your children such as clothing, studies, food, sports and cultural activities, … Child benefits are awarded for the child(ren) under the age of 18. After this age and up to 25 years, the child(ren) must either be a student in higher education (university or university college) or must follow a training.
You are entitled to receive child benefits in the following cases:
- as a student:
if you are younger than 25 years old (exceptionally 27 years), registered for minimum 27 credits and you are either a citizen of the EEA, a citizen of one of the countries who have signed the European Social Charter, a refugee, a stateless student or you have been living in Belgium for more than 5 years. In this case you can also request child benefits for the children staying with you in Belgium during your studies;
- on the basis of your work activities:
if you are working in Belgium or you are an employee of a Belgian company or you are working in Belgium as a self-employed person and you are subject to the Belgian social security;
- if you are born in Belgium or you or the child for which you ask the child benefits, are either a citizen of the EEA, a citizen of one of the countries who have signed the European Social Charter, a refugee, stateless or you have been living in Belgium for more than 4 years (in individual cases exceptions on this 4 year condition can be given). If you have a limited income you are entitled to guaranteed child benefits.
The benefits consist of a birth allowance which can be claimed on or after the 6th month of pregnancy and a monthly child benefit payment. Children with a handicap are entitled to higher payments until the age of 21.
- at the Social Services’ office of your campus/Office for Student Affairs
- Famiris (website in Dutch and French)
- Groeipakket (website in Dutch, French and English)