The student employment legislation in Belgium is different for nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and for Non-EEA Nationals.

EEA nationals
Students who are nationals of one of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as students with the Swiss nationality, may be employed in Belgium under the same conditions as Belgian students.

Non-EEA nationals
It is not necessary to apply for a work permit. Whether you are eligible to work as a student in Belgium will be checked immediately along with your request for residence in Belgium by the Immigration Office. In case you are allowed to work it will be mentioned at the back of your residence permit card.

  • During the academic year
    Non-EEA students who are allowed to work, can do so maximum 20 hours per week. It must be possible to combine the job with your studies, therefore you are not allowed to work during mandatory course time.
  • During official school vacations
    If you reside as a student in Belgium and if you are registered at a Belgian institution of higher education you may work without a work permit during official school vacation periods and no restrictions are imposed.
    If you arrive in Belgium during the summer vacation preceding the academic year you will start your studies, you are not allowed to work during that vacation period.